The Friends of Kentucky Libraries is a nonprofit organization made up of individuals and local Friends chapters and local boards of trustees who support and celebrate Kentucky’s libraries.
– a network of library supporters from across the state sharing ideas and news
– a source of assistance for creating or revitalizing your local Friends of the Library Chapter
– a unified voice to advocate for your library and all Kentucky Libraries
Hope your summer is off to a good start! It is so great to hear all the stories about Friends chapters around Kentucky supporting summer reading and other programs in our libraries! I am happy to report updates on several items of interest to Kentucky’s library Friends.
1. Mark your calendars! The Friends of Kentucky Libraries will be holding an annual meeting this year for the first time in three years on Oct. 29 at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington Green. That is the same day as the Kentucky Book Festival which will be held next door in the Joseph Beth Booksellers. We are looking forward to seeing Friends from across Kentucky to exchange information and learn from each other in addition to honoring outstanding chapters and friends. Later in the summer we will send registration information. With the higher cost of travel, the Board of the Friends of Kentucky Libraries has voted to offer travel grants for those Friends chapters who will coming to Lexington from a longer distance. Late in the summer we will send registration information and more on these grants for your consideration.
2. We realize that the last 2 years have been tough on Friends groups across the state – like so many other volunteer groups. In order to resume your activities or strengthen your ability to support your library – there may be some type of financial support you could use. The Friends Board has voted to provide 10 grants of $500 to Friends chapters this fall to help get back on track. We’re working on the application forms and will get them to you soon. In the meantime, be thinking of how you might use this small grant to build your Friends in your community.
3. You may have noticed that the Friends of Kentucky Libraries hasn’t collected dues for two years. Since fundraising ability of Friends groups was very limited over the past couple of years, we didn’t feel it was warranted to collect dues. As we expect to spend money on grants, the annual meeting and other activities, we would like to ask for renewal of your dues. I am attaching a membership form. Since we are half way into 2022 already, these dues will be for the 2023 calendar year but I thought I’d send this notice a little early.
4. One of our Friends chapters asked me if I knew where they could recycle a-v items and plastic cases that are not sold at book sales. Have you found a way to do this or do you have any suggestions?
5. We have a great Friends of Kentucky Libraries Board that I’ve enjoyed working with. But our by-laws require that we rotate off the board after 2 terms. We have several board members that will be rotating off soon and we are looking for nominees for these postions and for officers on the board. This is a great way to support Friends across the state. I know many of you have great ideas that will help us better support our libraries. Almost all our activities are by zoom so you don’t have to travel to participate. If you have an interest – or possibly there is a member of your Friends group that you would like to nominate, we would love to talk to you. Please let me know so we can continue and build on the good work we have done!
If you have any questions or thoughts about these items, please let me know. Thanks for all your work for the Friends and our libraries.
President, Friends of Kentucky Libraries
LATEST BLOG POSTS:
- Book Sale Alert!Summer Book SaleFriends of Paul Sawyier Public Library319 Wapping StreetRiver RoomFrankfort, KY Tues., Aug. 2 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Friends’ Preview Day)Wed. & Thur., Aug 3 & 4 10:00 am – 6:00 pmFri. Aug. 5 10:00 am – 4:00 pmSat., Aug. 6 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (Bag and […]
- ANNUAL MEETING – OCTOBER 29, 2022The Friends of Kentucky Libraries will be holding its annual meeting on October 29 at Embassy Suites by Hilton at Lexington Green which is adjacent to the Joseph Beth that will host the Kentucky Book Festival on that day. Travel grants will be offered to local friends chapters traveling from […]
- SB167Friends chapter contacts: Unfortunately SB167 passed in the House of Representatives late on Wednesday night by a vote of 52-37. You will notice it was barely a majority of the House and 11 representatives didn’t vote. Still it received enough support to pass. Since the House made a minor change, […]
- Book Sale Alert!Friends of Paul Sawyier Public Library next book sale will be as follows:SPRING BOOK SALENEW DATES: May 3 thru 7, 2022PAUL SAWYIER PUBLIC LIBRARYRiver Room319 Wapping StreetFrankfort , KY Tues., May 3 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Friends’ Preview Day)Wed. & Thur., May 4&5 10:00 am – 6:00 pmFri. May […]
- SB167We have just learned that SB167 which would abolish the library boards effective January 1 and allow the county judge executives to appoint new library boards of their choosing will be heard in the State and Local Government Committee today at noon. This bill would also require unanimous fiscal court […]
Let Us Know About Your Events!
Let us help you promote meetings, legislative activities, and book sales! For a recent list of statewide events the FKL have participated in, please visit our “Events” page. Send your flyers, articles, or event info to: email@example.com
© Friends of Kentucky Libraries 2019 ~ All Rights Reserved